01 January 2015

My Brother "Big" John. 4% - 94%

    Since I started volunteering at Saint Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, TN a while back, I've come to see how important this place is for not only the child who is a patient but for the Families of those involved.  While my duties as a Monday volunteer are somewhat Minor in the
Wristbands I give to the kids
overall scheme of things in the universe (I make sure the kids have the little red wagons and wheel chairs to get to appointments), it is a blessing to help these kids and their families along the way...it's fun to play with and give the kids a hug while they're waiting around for their many appointments and treatments.  And surprising as it may seem this is a happy, child centered hospital.  As I've spent much time at St. Jude these last few months, it is apparent that the joy experienced is because of the great hope offered.  When Danny Thomas prayed to St. Jude for help in finding his way in life, he said he would build him a shrine.  That shrine is St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, and that sacred place has given hope to millions of children around the world in very specific ways.
     Tuesday's are a little different.  I serve as a volunteer general public tour guide for Saint Jude.  I love it. You meet wonderful people, many who've supported St. Jude for years, and have the opportunity to tell them the story of the hospital and the incredible staff that ministers to the children and families.  As such, I've had to memorize many facts and figures regarding the hospital and what is done with treatments and how those treatments are so closely wedded to the work of the people in the Research Center.  I also tell people about the millions of people in "Danny's Army" (Danny Thomas founded St. Jude and is buried there with his wife), as well as the millions of dollars it takes to operate St. Jude on a daily basis.  One of the interesting stories involves a young boy in Peoria, ILL.  Danny was there one day raising money for the hospital and this young boy came up with an envelope and said, "I want to help the poor little sick children."   In the envelope was a quarter and a fifty cent piece.  Danny was so taken with the boy and his donation that the $.75 he gave that day is contained in the base of the statue of St. Jude in front of the hospital.  It's these kind of stories I share with visitors coupled with the incredible survival rates and the powerful work everyone at St. Jude and around the world continue every day.  
    
John Alan Kircher
But on a recent tour something struck me that I hadn't grasped or thought much of except it being just another statistic.  One point we talk about is that the doctors and scientists learn more about these diseases from every child they treat.  Every child's life matters!

     My youngest brother, John Alan, was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (A.L.L.), as a young boy.  Devastating of course for him as well as the family.  He went to Saint Jude, received treatment for a year, but unfortunately did not survive. He was only 11. 

     I think about my brother Johnny every time I go to St. Jude.  I think about what he did in life, and in death, to help doctors and scientists assist future patients of these life threatening childhood diseases.  They all matter...
 
If you're wondering about the 4% - 94% in the title, only 4% of children diagnosed with Johns illness; A.L.L., survived in 1962, the year St. Jude opened.  The survival rate today is 94%.  Thanks "Big John," and thanks to everyone at St. Jude, thanks to those of you who give so much as part of Danny's Army, no matter how large or small it is, and bless all the wonderful children at St. Jude.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment