09 May 2010

"Fudo Kircher" and Caddyshack

Remember the movie "Caddyshack?"  Particularly the scene where Bill Murray is talking to the younger caddy about caddying for the Dalai Lama?  I ran into the same thing...
Murray and the Dalai Lama

Here's Murray lines:  "So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the 18th and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

I got something going for me too.  The picture at left represents Achala Natha, who is perhaps better known as Bodhisattva Fudo Myo-o, the "Immovable Wisdom King," who is a symbolic representation of the will and determination to stand fast through the struggles of life.  Apparently one of the students of the Chaplain Basic Officer Leaders Course, who happened to be a Buddhist, thought this best represented me?  This is what he told the class, "Bodhisattva Fudo Myo-o is depicted as surrounded by flames which represent the passions of life as he sits firmly on a solid rock which represents his firm resolve to not be moved from his spiritual path.  In particular, he is seen as a figure of the harder variety of compassion, much in the same way a father will stand fast as his children are reprimanded without coddling them or stopping them from receiving the reprimand, knowing it will improve their character.  He is a very strong and paternal figure, whose stern face reflects discipline and dedication to keep his charges away from evil paths.  He is shown carrying a sword and rope, which symbolize his vow to cut away the delusions of all sentient beings and to bind up evil desires so they cannot manifest.  

   "LTC Kircher, throughout CH-BOLC, you have shown this "harder" compassion and the vow to be immovable in our training.  At the same time you have been a very paternal figure, shepherding us through the rigors of training with a certain compassionate firmness.  Based on this, I was inspired to respectfully depict you as "Fudo Kircher."  With all due respect I wish to present this to you as a gesture of appreciation from myself and my classmates.  Thank you Sir."

"So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

No comments:

Post a Comment