22 September 2009

Day two - Hagerstown


All was going pretty well as we made our long drive through Virginia to Hagerstown Maryland. I've begun to notice that KOA Kampgrounds have their own personality. While Wytheville was wide and open Hagerstown reminded me of Germany and cozy little quaint places. Very compact. But it was by a very nice stream and very quieting. I again found myself driving through a small town (Williamsport, MD), with people staring and pointing their fingers at me. But thanks to the British voice on my Garmin we eventually found the place.
Wait - before I get to Hagerstown, MD. We stopped for breakfast along 81 in New Market, Virginia at the Johnny Appleseed Restaurant. Really cool looking place with a huge statue of Johnny Appleseed with a pot on his head outside. You can push a button and he'll tell you his story. I don't know but we must have gotten there at a bad time because I swear the waitress thought we were the invisible couple and didn't know we were there. I get a diet coke in a baby's size cup, then the food is cold. Okay- I've dealt with those things before. But when I go to pay, I say to the cashier I have alot of change and can I pay you with that? "Sure," he says. I had already counted it out so I put it there and said "Do you trust a guy in the Army? He says, "I'm afraid you'll have to wait until I count this all out." So much for being a part of the most trusted institution in the United States. I guess a congressman would have to give blood to pay for breakfast. Needless to say, Johnny Appleseed is off on the next trip North.
To Hagerstown - very quaint spot but I had to back the RV in. Not pretty but we made it. Dogs got out and had a good time running around and we went down to the creek to check it out. Not a bad stay but a short one since that was the long leg on our trip.
Next - Finally make it to PA. But Scranton? Not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment