24 September 2009

Scranton

Scranton welcomes you? Not so much.

We stopped at the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Airport to get a small rental car since we didn't want anyone to drive us all over the place. I took the Garmin and the pups with me and started down the highway. As we got close to Scranton, I noticed the Garmin was taking me off I81 so I thought maybe something else was going on and Scranton had some sort of expressway that would take me to Clarks Summit. My inner Yoda said "Wrong was I. " It took me right into the small streets of the city. Then I get into the wrong lane going left and then taking an immediate right - so I end up trying to get in the right lane and not one person was ready to let me do that...so all of a sudden I'm getting the honking horns, the finger, and more I can't say on a public blog. Needless to say I was glad when I got to Keyser Avenue and headed up to Newton-Ransom Blvd to Aunt Ida's house. Dwight Schrute was all over the city that day...man those people.
We finally made it to Aunt Ida's and Chrissy ( her daughter) who is building a house up the hill from Ida, came out and told me where to park the RV. These things don't do well with hills since everything can't be tied down but I made it up the hill okay. There of course, is where the fun begins. Apparently word got out quickly when it was learned that when I was initially backing the RV into my driveway I got a piece of the RV caught on my mailbox. Fortunately, the mailbox is set in concrete so it just wiggled a little when I hit it. Unfortunately, my lovely wife was on the phone with my mother Alice in Tennessee. Sandra happened to glance out the window to see me backing into the driveway and at the same time heading for the mailbox like the Titanic looking for the iceberg so she tells my mother (rather dramatically) she has to go since I'm backing into the mailbox. That's all it took. Alice now knows about the mailbox incident so Western Union is now in action. Mom Alice calls sista SueAnn in Byhalia, Mississippi (near Ole Miss - which lost rather ingloriously to South Carolina Thursday night), and wonder of wonders the word spreads across the country to the city of Newton within about 20 minutes. So as I drive up, Chrissy's son wonder boy Tim (Timmer), wonders whether I was going to take out part of his mother's house. Ha-ha-ha, he's so funny. "Don't worry," Chrissy said, "the boys will back it in for you." No way was I going to let bus/tractor-drivin' Cousin Kevin and Timmer back it in so I call upon my wonderful wife Sandra to guide me in and do so to keep the RV somewhat level. My girl still has no clue regarding proper military hand signals so she's backing me in with signals that make it look like she's doing the hula dance. I did succeed however, when she went back into the house.

The all time good news is this: For the next 7 days Chrissy is paying my electric and water bill...man that's livin'.

Next - Brother Joe doesn't get the RV thing...Brother Steve's cleaning the Job Johnnies at the Wyoming County Fair...Salernos's and Old Forge pizza, Ameretas in Chinchilla...Calarussos in Clarks Summit, man that's livin.'

No comments:

Post a Comment